- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
Heat oil in a large pan (or pot) until shimmering
Mix the chicken bouillon powder with water until dissolved.
Toss chicken with basil and add to pot with onion powder and zucchini. Saute for about 4 minutes, then add bell pepper, garlic, and orzo and cook an additional 4 minutes.
Add crushed tomato, bouillon powder and water mixture to pot and mix. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring often so the orzo doesn’t burn, making sure to cover the pot after each stir. Add additional seasonings to taste, if desired.
I recommend against using a cast iron skillet for this recipe. The orzo seems more prone to sticking to the bottom.