- 2 cups unfed “discard” starter at 100% hydration
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (see instructions first!)
- Sugar for maple syrup:
- Replace the maple syrup with 2 tbsp sugar
- Increase the 2 tsp of water to 2 tbsp water
In a large bowl, whisk together everything except the baking soda.
Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees F.
Make sure your griddle is hot and ready to go before adding the baking soda to the batter. Once the baking soda is added, the batter will double in volume and continue to thicken slightly over the next few minutes, so it’s best to work fast. When ready, whisk the baking soda into the batter and start cooking immediately.
If you’re cooking for a crowd and need to double, etc. the recipe, make it in batches without the baking soda, and add soda just before using.